[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Charles Yeomans yeomans at desuetude.com
Thu Jun 19 18:23:15 CDT 2003

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 05:27 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> on 6/19/03 23:03, Charles Yeomans at yeomans at desuetude.com wrote:
> [snip]
>
> No question to you Charles.
> Assume you have sale 10,000 copies of your application with
> 5connection.
> Assume you have sale it at price $50-$500.
> So you get $500,000 - $5,000,000
>

> Now let 5,000 your customers want to have 15 connections.
> So you need sale them 5,000 * (15 - 5) = 50,000 connections.
> Such bulk you can buy from us for $1 per connection.
>

> So you need pay us $50,000, and you now can resale this connections at
> price
> that is acceptable on market. This is  $1-$70.
> Therefore you can get $50,000 - $3,500,000.
>
> Question is, is OUR price: $50,000 sounds reasonable
> comparing to Developer's profit ?

Perhaps you mean "potential" profit; the developer must buy those
50,000 connections now and attempt to resell them later.

> ----
> Just the last 2 weeks we have hot discussion with Keith.
> Keith point that for developer tools price in tens of thousands of $
> is not
> acceptable. Keith point us as example codeBase.
>
> In answer we point all other DBs such mySQL, OpenBase, ... Which all
> have
> prices several times higher for embedded solutions.
>
> Keith say, Valentina is not the same to mySQL or openBase.
> I am not agree. MySQL by big letters on their site say:
>             "We offer embedded license"
>
> So why Valentina is worse of mySQL???  :-)

Well, I'm beginning to wonder about order of magnitude here.  If you
want to sell a VServer plugin for, say $999, that's one thing.  If you
want to sell it for $9999, then I'm pretty sure I won't be buying it.

Charles Yeomans