[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Charles Yeomans yeomans at desuetude.com
Thu Jun 19 16:03:34 CDT 2003

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 02:06 PM, Keith DeLong wrote:

>> So what you think about such way of work with connection distribution?
>> Actually we ask only about second option -- "embedded server". First
>> option
>> is clear like a day...
>>
>> Any comments will be appreciated.
>> Also any comparison with other database vendors are welcome.
>> We want clearly see our weak and strong sides.
>
> I'm a little curious by the lack of any response to Ruslan's discussion
> request. Are any of you planning multi-user Valentina based apps? Since
> development costs for embedded apps are dramatically changing from v1,
> thought there'd be interest in this topic.  Or perhaps the initial
> email was
> just a bit complex.

There is, but it's not clear that there is anything to discuss.  As I
understand it, there will be  two versions of VServer.  One is an
application that serves databases.   The licensing fees for the VServer
app will be a function of the number of simultaneous connections
allowed.

The other is (in REALbasic terms) a plugin that we can use to write our
own server; I assume that the license will restrict developers from
writing a competitor to VServer.  Now I assume that Lynn and Ruslan
want to set up the pricing for the VServer plugin so as to be roughly
equivalent to selling copies of the VServer app.  Apparently, the way
this will work is that we pay a one-time fee to license VServer.  This
license will allow us to write and distribute server apps that allow 5
simultaneous connections.  To enable more simultaneous connections for
a customer, we purchase more connection licenses from Paradigma and
resell them to the customer.  Ruslan also suggests that we can buy
these connection licenses in bulk and get a lower unit price on
connection licenses.

If I have interpreted Ruslan's e-mail correctly, I think this is pretty
reasonable in design; all that remains to be known is specific pricing.
I see that Lynn has clarified his earlier clarifications; I will
address those in reply to his mail.

Charles Yeomans