Seeking verification on bug fix

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jun 24 16:19:00 CDT 2003

on 6/19/03 22:32, Zav - Alex Zavatone at zavpublic at mac.com wrote:

> I am quite interested in finding out if the crash bug that I had
> mentioned before (where a valentina database is opened without initing
> the xtra instance causes the crash) has been fixed.
>
> An interesting side note to this is though Valentina was written to be
> fast, the solution proposed for avoiding the bug was an object wrapper
> written in lingo.  Think about this.  If we are using lingo to track
> that the xtra is properly inited, then we immediately lose part of the
> speed advantage since compiled C code is going to be faster than
> tokenized lingo.
>
> Just a little thought on the subject.

Hi Zav,

We have try to reproduce this crash with all our best efforts,
And we was NOT able to crash Director.

We have take example001 script of V4MD.
This example have handler

On CreateDB
    set gDB = new ( xtra "VDatabase" )
    createDatabase( gDB, "dbname.vdb", 4 )

end

So we
1) start Director
2) open this script
3) do not run it so there is call ValentinaInit()
4) type in the Message window "CreateDB"

NO CRASH!

We get Error Dialog from Director:
    "Handler not defined"

For line
    createDatabase( gDB, "dbname.vdb", 4 )

And this is quite normal because prev line was not able create gDB object,
and we can see this in debugger window. So Director even cannot call
createDatabase().

We have try the same with openDatabase().
Again, functions are even not called because object gDB is bad.

Zav, now I need your help to reproduce your problem.
You really know some secrets how to crash Director :-)

I need from you simple project and EXACT STEPS to do to reproduce.
Please provide them to me ASAP.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com