[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Thu Jun 19 12:28:29 CDT 2003

> on 6/19/03 21:06, Keith DeLong at delong at redcort.com wrote:
>
>>> So what you think about such way of work with connection distribution?
>>> Actually we ask only about second option -- "embedded server". First option
>>> is clear like a day...
>>>
>>> Any comments will be appreciated.
>>> Also any comparison with other database vendors are welcome.
>>> We want clearly see our weak and strong sides.
>>
>> I'm a little curious by the lack of any response to Ruslan's discussion
>> request. Are any of you planning multi-user Valentina based apps? Since
>> development costs for embedded apps are dramatically changing from v1, I
>> thought there'd be interest in this topic.  Or perhaps the initial email was
>> just a bit complex.
>
> I am also wonder on silent on this issue.   :-)
>
>> Rulsan/Lynn,
>> Could you give us an idea (or range) on what it will cost to buy vSerever
>> for development and how much to distribute 50,500, 1000 applications per
>> year with an embedded vServer?
>
> I think Lynn will not wish to discover prices yet in the public way.
> Lynn?

I didn't mean to broaden the discussion. I'm just looking for a simple way
to discuss the topic. Maybe an illustration on how licensing works
differently for developers using 1.x verses Vserver.

> By the way, Keith, I wonder why you underline per - year ???
> We do NOT have dependency on year! Correct?

This is great.

So, like 1.x, there will not be any annual licensing required to continue
development using vServer from year to year?

> Totte, when you will get free time?
> I think it will be very interesting for Keith to hear your opinion about our
> price scheme. Totte was happy with our first model, I think when he will see
> our latest model he will become very excited.  :-)

I look forward to Totte's use of Vserver and his input on the discussion.

> Again, if Lynn will say no prices yet on public then we will discuss them
> privately. On public only we discuss idea of licensing way.

I don't want to get ahead of you. I was thinking that your email as a
concept can be hard to think about. How ever you can illustrate what is
changing for developers I think will be helpful.

Keith