V4RB - Carbonlib 1.6 and OS 8.6 problem

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jun 18 09:12:01 CDT 2003

on 6/18/03 4:20, Fitzbew at aol.com at Fitzbew at aol.com wrote:

>> This is probably a FileManager error.  Error -50 is "Invalid value
>> passed in a parameter. Your application passed an invalid parameter for
>> dialog options."  This suggests to me that there could have been
>> something funky about the database file name, or that V4Rb did
>> something to it.
>>
>> Charles Yeomans
>>

>> On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 06:46 PM, Fitzbew at aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone using a carbon RB app with Valentina in Mac OS 8.6 and Carbonlib 1.6?
>>>   Today, I upgraded a machine to Carbonlib 1.6 so it would be compatible
>>> with another RB plug-in.   However, CarbonLib 1.6 appears to have "broken"
>>> Valentina.   Trying to open the db returns a -50 error code (no error
>>> description is provided).
>>>
>>> No problems under 9.X using CarbonLib 1.6.
>>>
>>> I found a thread in the archives from July 2002 in which a Valentina user
>>> was having a similar problem, but no solution or work around was indicated.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any more knowledge about this problem, or how I might work
>>> around it?
>>>
>>> (the July 2002 thread was started by Joerg Pressel.)
>>>

> When I compile the app for MacOS 8-9 (instead of Carbon) it runs fine.
>
> I've tested it under 8.6 using Carbonlib 1.3.1, Carbonlib 1.4, and Carbonlib
> 1.6 and the Carbon version of my app always fails when it attempts to open the
> database.
>
> It appears to be the combination of OS 8.6 and Carbonlib and Valentina.   It's
> not "just" Carbonlib 1.6, because it works fine in OS 9.2.2.   It's not just
> Valentina and OS 8.6, because the PPC compiled app works ok.
>
> I asked this in my earlier post, but no one has responded yet: is anyone
> running a carbon-compiled RB app using valentina 1.9.7 under Carbonlib 1.6 and
> OS 8.6?   If so, then at least I'll know it's something specific to my own
> configuration.

What version of V4RB do you use?
Try latest 1.9.8b8

Why you cannot live with PPC version of app for 8.6 ?

IT is known that CarbonLib sometimes glitches...
I can assume that in this case there is some incompatibility between it and
OS 8.6. You sure that Apple claims that CarbonLib 1.6 will work on 8.6?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com