V4RB - Carbonlib 1.6 and OS 8.6 problem

Fitzbew at aol.com Fitzbew at aol.com
Tue Jun 17 21:20:03 CDT 2003

In a message dated 6/17/03 6:53:43 PM, yeomans at desuetude.com writes:

> This is probably a FileManager error.  Error -50 is "Invalid value
> passed in a parameter. Your application passed an invalid parameter for
> dialog options."  This suggests to me that there could have been
> something funky about the database file name, or that V4Rb did
> something to it.
>
> Charles Yeomans
>

> On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 06:46 PM, Fitzbew at aol.com wrote:
>
> > Anyone using a carbon RB app with Valentina in Mac OS 8.6 and
> > Carbonlib 1.6?
> >  Today, I upgraded a machine to Carbonlib 1.6 so it would be
> > compatible with
> > another RB plug-in.   However, CarbonLib 1.6 appears to have "broken"
> > Valentina.   Trying to open the db returns a -50 error code (no error
> > description is
> > provided).
> >
> > No problems under 9.X using CarbonLib 1.6.
> >
> > I found a thread in the archives from July 2002 in which a Valentina
> > user was
> > having a similar problem, but no solution or work around was indicated.
> >
> > Does anyone have any more knowledge about this problem, or how I might
> > work
> > around it?
> >
> > (the July 2002 thread was started by Joerg Pressel.)

When I compile the app for MacOS 8-9 (instead of Carbon) it runs fine.

I've tested it under 8.6 using Carbonlib 1.3.1, Carbonlib 1.4, and Carbonlib
1.6 and the Carbon version of my app always fails when it attempts to open the
database.

It appears to be the combination of OS 8.6 and Carbonlib and Valentina.
It's not "just" Carbonlib 1.6, because it works fine in OS 9.2.2.   It's not just
Valentina and OS 8.6, because the PPC compiled app works ok.

I asked this in my earlier post, but no one has responded yet: is anyone
running a carbon-compiled RB app using valentina 1.9.7 under Carbonlib 1.6 and OS
8.6?   If so, then at least I'll know it's something specific to my own
configuration.