FAQ: help installing xcmd in Mac OS 10.2.6

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jun 14 18:24:20 CDT 2003

on 6/14/03 17:45, jrvalent at wisc.edu at jrvalent at wisc.edu wrote:

> I hope there's someone out there using Valentina XCMD with Runtime
> Revolution (2.0.1) and Mac OS X.2.6, because I cannot seem to get the XCMD
> properly installed. There are several questions that I would greatly
> appreciate help with:
>
> 1. Which version of the XCMD should I be using? The carbon or the macho.
> What is macho, by the way?

You need to use VXCMD_Macho.
Macho -- this is term of Apple for OS X format of executable files.

IMPORTANT: in fact this depend from version of MetaCard or Rev you use.
Rev 1.1.1 as MetaCard 2.4.3 now use Macho format for plugins.
Older Versios have use Carbon plguins

> 2. I simply put the VXCMD in the same folder with Revolution, right?

Yes.

> Do I take out the Classic VXCMD that's already in the Revolution folder?

Yes, if you want to use new version.
Rev distribute some version of VXCMD, but on our site you usually can find
newer version.

> 3. I copy the CODE from the carbon (or macho) Examples file into the stack I
> want to use the Valentina XCMD with.

You DO NOT need copy CODE if you use Macho version.

BTW, first of all try to run examples. If they works then this is first good
step :-)

> 4. Do I have to set the externals for the stack as well (though I have tried
> this). If I do, what is the exact statement:

You need set external ONLY for Windows version.

> set the externals of this stack to <what>
>
> I need to know exactly what to type in the <what>.
>
> I have gotten the XCMD to work with Revolution 2.0.1 and Mac OS 9.2.2, so I
> must just be doing something wrong.

Aha, so you use REV 2.0.
Then you need VXCMD MACHO

> 5. Also, if I do get the XCMD to work with OS X, can I have 2 copies of the
> CODE resources in the same stack, since I'm frequently moving stacks back
> and forth between OS 9 and X? Thanks.

For MACOS 9 you need CODE, for MACHO no.
So you can keep CODE in your stack, and use the same stack on 9 or X.

> 6. I have found that uses Revolution's Database Query Builder to connect to
> a database is quite slow with regard to the "next record" functions. Have
> other people had this problem, and would it be faster if I used the commands
> from the Valentina XCMD?

> 7. I find using the Revolution Database Query Builder that when I make a
> single connection to a database, then I can access _every_ table in it,
> through that connection, even though the connection is set up to work with a
> particular table. Will it work to update tables in this fashion?
>
> 8. The Revolution Database Query Builder permits you to cache the database,
> but warns not to do this if the database is too large. What is too large?

I don't know about this 3.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com