help installing xcmd in Mac OS 10.2.6

jrvalent at wisc.edu jrvalent at wisc.edu
Sat Jun 14 09:45:31 CDT 2003

  I hope there's someone out there using Valentina XCMD with Runtime
Revolution (2.0.1) and Mac OS X.2.6, because I cannot seem to get the XCMD
properly installed. There are several questions that I would greatly
appreciate help with:

1. Which version of the XCMD should I be using? The carbon or the macho.
What is macho, by the way?

2. I simply put the VXCMD in the same folder with Revolution, right? Do I
take out the Classic VXCMD that's already in the Revolution folder?

3. I copy the CODE from the carbon (or macho) Examples file into the stack I
want to use the Valentina XCMD with.

4. Do I have to set the externals for the stack as well (though I have tried
this). If I do, what is the exact statement:

  set the externals of this stack to <what>

I need to know exactly what to type in the <what>.

I have gotten the XCMD to work with Revolution 2.0.1 and Mac OS 9.2.2, so I
must just be doing something wrong.

5. Also, if I do get the XCMD to work with OS X, can I have 2 copies of the
CODE resources in the same stack, since I'm frequently moving stacks back
and forth between OS 9 and X? Thanks.

6. I have found that uses Revolution's Database Query Builder to connect to
a database is quite slow with regard to the "next record" functions. Have
other people had this problem, and would it be faster if I used the commands
from the Valentina XCMD?

7. I find using the Revolution Database Query Builder that when I make a
single connection to a database, then I can access _every_ table in it,
through that connection, even though the connection is set up to work with a
particular table. Will it work to update tables in this fashion?

8. The Revolution Database Query Builder permits you to cache the database,
but warns not to do this if the database is too large. What is too large?

Thanks so much!

rand valentine

rand valentine