REALbasic: right for this project?

Guillermo Zaballa guillermo at parsec.info
Sat Jun 7 03:03:03 CDT 2003

Hello

>> But still, the most important aspect would be to integrate the
>> language with
>> the database engine. When you have a selection (record set, cursor),
>> make
>> sure you have objects that can show them to the user (dynamic
>> listbox, for
>> example), layouts to modify the data in it, and layouts to print the
>> data.
>> Now it is hard work in RB to make all this, and that is a shame. I am
>> not
>> lazy, but when you say that RB + Valentina is not much different from
>> 4D,
>> someone should fill in these gaps for me and other developers.
>
> Difference of course exists.
>
> And you are right. From RB side still a lots of lacks.
> One of main -- dynamic listbox.
> We talk with them about this 3 years already. :-(

> About automatic renaming...I do not see any way how REALbaic or Visual
> BASIC
> can do this operation. So I think this will NEVER exists in RB.

The RB language is far more powerful than 4D, if you don't have a
control you can create using classes,  the language in 4D is very
primitive and is not objet oriented.

I have written classes that simplify the creation of layouts or
reports, if you want something that 4d lacks is very difficult to
implement because the limitations of the 4D language.

I have been using 4D during six years, I have been the support person
of 4D in my country !!  and now I'm migrating all 4D projects to
RB/Valentina, I can't recommend 4D anymore, was a nice product but now
there are better solutions.

4D uses a number to reference fields in code,  when you rename a field
all procedures are not changed because the field number never change,
this is the reason for the lack of field/table deletion in 4D.

Best regards

    Guillermo Zaballa