[VSRV][V4RB] VServer CPU hogging

Tim Davis timdavis at amug.org
Fri Jun 6 01:21:12 CDT 2003

Hi,

    VServer seems to use the maximum available CPU after a client app
disconnects. Start up CPU Monitor to watch, but you can experience the
sluggishness just using your computer. I've been discussing this issue
with Ruslan and we are looking for more user reports. I've tested on
three machines, both client and server on the same machine or with a
remote server host, and the response is the same on the server machine.
(My tests included: VServer & plugin 2.0a12, RB 4.5.2 & 5.1, PowerMac,
iMac, and iBook, each w/Mac OS 10.2.6.)

1) run VServer
2) run client example ("Single Table") or another project
3) connect to server by creating or opening a database
4) quit client app
5) check CPU usage

Although dragging activities on the server machine, server database
response time seems fine (though I've not done any comparisons).

When you quit or restart VServer, the CPU usage drops to normal
activity.

Workaround: I'm using two machines side-by-side to get decent
performance when coding.

Question: Does this activity only occur with RB clients, or other
clients as well?

Tim Davis