REALbasic: right for this project?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jun 7 01:11:21 CDT 2003

on 6/6/03 11:22, Richard Altenburg at valentina at brainchild.nl wrote:

Hi Richard,

>> I hope that Valentina Studio will improve Valentina development,
>> And so simplify RB+V4RB work.
>>
>> By the way, I did think about such simple feature for Vstudio as generation
>> of code for example to create db for different languages that support
>> Valentina. So you create in Vstudio like in Access or 4D db schema, then you
>> say: generate for C++, Java, Lingo, RB, ... Code to create this db.
>
> This is nice. It is always better to visually create your schema, instead of
> doing it in code. This is quite easy to make, so why not? Remember that 4D
> also creates relations by letting you draw lines from one table to the
> other. Vstudio could maybe create the corresponding ObjectPtr fields and so
> on...

Yes.

> But still, the most important aspect would be to integrate the language with
> the database engine. When you have a selection (record set, cursor), make
> sure you have objects that can show them to the user (dynamic listbox, for
> example), layouts to modify the data in it, and layouts to print the data.
> Now it is hard work in RB to make all this, and that is a shame. I am not
> lazy, but when you say that RB + Valentina is not much different from 4D,
> someone should fill in these gaps for me and other developers.

Difference of course exists.

And you are right. From RB side still a lots of lacks.
One of main -- dynamic listbox.
We talk with them about this 3 years already. :-(

About automatic renaming...I do not see any way how REALbaic or Visual BASIC
can do this operation. So I think this will NEVER exists in RB.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com