[V4MD] problem with importing jpgs

Martin Kloss martin.kloss at gmx.de
Fri Jul 18 16:53:56 CDT 2003

At 16:47 18.07.03 +0300, you wrote:
>We need all together fight with this problem.
>I need help because I am not sure how you Lingo writer can
>A) open JPG file as binary file

well, that certainly is a problem, because Director will always decompress
and bitmap the file after an import, you can not directly import
compressed images without them being decompressed upon import.

>B) read into RAM it AS IS, so Driector will not expand it

you can use an Xtra, like vList zu read it the JPEG data
as binary data: http://www.updatestage.com/xtras/vlist.html
or Binary IO http://www.updatestage.com/xtras/binaryio.html

>C) send to V4MD this RAM buffer.

this could be done with the IMAGE property (Ruslan, have you tried my
project yet?), since you would not need any cast member at all.

>May be we need look on third party xtras that work with pictures and JPGs?

yeah, but that is not a nice solution, since it requires licensing another Xtra
to use the Valentina Xtra, not good.

>May be V4MD should import JPG directly from disk by given path?
>Although this require efforts from us. Not implemented in kernel.

That would be really cool, if the SetPicture() method would accept a filehandle
as a valid parameter and then read in the JPEG data directly from that source.

Martin.