[V4MD] problem with importing jpgs

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jul 19 10:12:07 CDT 2003

on 7/18/03 17:53, Martin Kloss at martin.kloss at gmx.de wrote:

Hi Martin,

>> We need all together fight with this problem.
>> I need help because I am not sure how you Lingo writer can
>> A) open JPG file as binary file
>
> well, that certainly is a problem, because Director will always decompress
> and bitmap the file after an import, you can not directly import
> compressed images without them being decompressed upon import.

I see.

>> B) read into RAM it AS IS, so Driector will not expand it
>
> you can use an Xtra, like vList zu read it the JPEG data
> as binary data: http://www.updatestage.com/xtras/vlist.html
> or Binary IO http://www.updatestage.com/xtras/binaryio.html

Well, taking into account that they have price $150-300
I think better implement for Valentina

    BLOB.ImportFile( path )
    BLOB.ExportFile( path )

    Picture.ImportFile( path )
    Picture.ExportFile( path )

>> C) send to V4MD this RAM buffer.
>
> this could be done with the IMAGE property (Ruslan, have you tried my
> project yet?), since you would not need any cast member at all.

Not yet. It is before my eyes all time.

>> May be we need look on third party xtras that work with pictures and JPGs?
>
> yeah, but that is not a nice solution, since it requires licensing another
> Xtra to use the Valentina Xtra, not good.

Correct.

>> May be V4MD should import JPG directly from disk by given path?
>> Although this require efforts from us. Not implemented in kernel.
>
> That would be really cool, if the SetPicture() method would accept a
> filehandle as a valid parameter and then read in the JPEG data directly from
> that source.

I think better specify not file handle but simply file path.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com