[V4RB] x-plat line breaks in multi-line text

Pedro fp lists at pedro.Net.au
Wed Jul 9 01:50:02 CDT 2003

G'day Folks

I'm wondering how others handle line breaks in multi-line text fields
of databases that have to work x-platform. Currently I'm converting all
line breaks to chr(13) but I'm thinking that might not be wise when it
comes time to build for Window$. What I definitely want to do is use
the same line breaks withing my database on both Mac & Win so that the
data files can be moved from one to the other & [when V2 & Vserver are
final] both can connect to the same database.

I already have utility functions to convert line breaks any way I like
so I'm thinking of settling on one form of line break [probably chr(13)
for minimal code changing] & using platform conditional compile
statements to make the Win version of my app convert the line breaks on
the fly as heeded. What do others say to this approach?

Cheers, Pedro :-)

Web: <http://www.pedro.net.au>                    PGP Key ID: 387CD96F
Instant messaging...  AIM: bandidoOfOz  ICQ: 27671678  Jabber: pedrofp
                       MSN: mail at pedro.net.au           Yahoo: pedro_fp
~~~~~~~~
"Ecological economics is concerned with extending and intergrating the
study and
management of 'nature's household' (ecology) and 'humankind's household'
(economics). This integration is necessary because conceptual and
professional
isolation have led to economic and environmental polocies that are
mutually
destructive rather than reinforcing."
                                   International Society for Ecological
Economics