Error of inventory of Varchar field ?

Gunnar Swan GunnarSwan at PracticeToPass.com
Wed Jul 9 00:13:40 CDT 2003

>Error of inventory page of Varchar field.
>
>This is bad error.
>
>You can reproduce it ?!!
>I want to see your code.

Yes, I can reproduce this at will. It occurs on create base object (table).
I don't use Varchar, so I suspect this error was in system tables.

Steps to reproduce ...

(1) Create database with no encyrption on schema.
(2) Open database, specify an encryption key. I use very long keys.
(3) Attempt to create base object.
*** Get Error of inventory of Varchar field.

We are moving to building database schema on-the-fly, on client. In the past, have shipped a populated VDB.

Now .. we put encryption on the empty VDB. And ship this VDB to client.
Code then builds VDB.

In this case, I sent to tester a database with no encryption. But code opens DB with key.

When I sent tester a empty VDB with encryption, all problems went away.

For me, this is no longer an issue. But it is interesting.