corrupted indexing

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Fri Jan 31 17:11:05 CST 2003

Hi Liz,

> Woah... is this (corrupted indexing) a common situation?  I'm
> developing right now for a product that will (hopefully) be in the
> hands of hundreds of students within 6 months, and I can't have the
> database not performing searches properly, due to indexing problems.
> Because of the wide distribution, I wanted everything in one file, but
> if this is a serious problem, I'll do it in multiple files.  For the
> next year or so, users should only have one database; down the line

I've never seen an index corruption in normal program operation. In the case
of a system/application crash, indexes get hammered with some frequency.

So if your target audience locks up computers, crashes apps, and otherwise
misbehaves (read: STUDENTS), add a Rebuild Indexes menu item or better yet
automatically rebuild your db indexes at each program launch. The rebuild is
a 2-3 second process with my 10MB database files. YMMV.

Best,

Keith DeLong