corrupt database

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jan 31 23:49:06 CST 2003

on 1/31/03 11:32 PM, Elizabeth Robar at erobar at earthlink.net wrote:

Hi Elizabeth,

:-)

Just only I have told on RB list that it is hard to corrupt Valentina db,
And Ops...

> Take a database (mine has about 6 tables and WAS working beautifully),
> and in ViSQL Carbon run the statement

> SELECT * FROM sysitem WHERE Value<>0

> (I was trying to figure out how to return all the fields in a given
> table so I could write some scripts more easily)
> ViSQL Carbon crashes mightily, and the sysitem table seems to be wiped
> out... making all the data in the database inaccessible!

In fact this sounds strange.

So you have had some GOOD DB with data,
You open it in viSQL,
and you do query and READ data.

You cannot corrupt db if you DO NOT WRITE data into db file...

> So, first question: is there any way I can retrieve the data I've lost
> access to?

1) do you have 4 files mode in db ?
Try move .vdb file into separate folder and open in VAPP.
If this works then vdb is okay

2) try now open vdb + .dat
If this also fine then problem in .ind

> And what basic things ought I to know, so I don't do something so disastrous
> again?  I hope this is more than just a lesson in the importance of backups!

Yes backups are important if you have important data.

I don't know how you get corruption in this case.
If you READ then no way for corruption.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com