FW: [ VXCMD] Time limited demo

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Jan 24 18:10:16 CST 2003

>The EULA is a grant-of-license where we set terms which apply to anyone
>who opens their wallet to pay and are willing to abide by it. If you
>want an exception to the EULA, its got to be negotiated.
>
>The "all rights reserved" clause in an agreement is a failsafe to make
>sure we see the hot water before we step into it. Robert, that doesn't
>directly answer your question but its what I can offer you for now.

I am not sure you are answering my questions since the quote above
was from somebody else not me and to be honest I haven't looked at
the agreements lately since at the moment I do only internal
development. However, I am eyeing a prduct for sale, so in several
months this issue will become important to me.

>While there is usually a cost associated with variations (if its
>something major and not a logo color change or something like that),
>it's a requirement to know what's being done with the demo version and
>maybe even more importantly, by whom.
>
>If you create a tool that is for the manipulation of Valentina databases
>(and its otherwise within the conditions of the EULA) and requires usage
>of a demo, I see a few possibilities --
>
>1. Point the potential user to the Paradigma website.
>
>2. Become a Valentina partner for reselling Valentina and we work out
>the details.
>
>#1 pretty much absolves you of most issues. #2 is a good opportunity to
>grab not only your own sale but also a margin of the sale of Valentina.

But... you seem to be talking about us using and distributing Vapp
demo version whereas we are talking about a demo of OUR products.
Paradigma website does not have them. Vapp may not even be able to
open and handle our databases at all (we can change the
extensions/type of files or encrypt the content, for example). The
end-user may not even be aware that there is Valentina engine inside
OUR program.

Furthemore, it seems to me that it should be irrelevant whether I
program my own timeout or whether I use the one built into Valentina.
Valentina and its serial number assigned to me are inside the same in
either case -- end user does not have to make a new download but just
enter the supplied registration as it is in Vapp. The question is
then why should I program what is already available? The timeout
feature is actually a nice bonus that Valentina offers and your
forbidding to use it does not seem to make sense to me.

Robert