[Valentina] Re: Vdb files

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 18 22:17:44 CST 2003

on 1/18/03 9:49 PM, Keith DeLong at delong at redcort.com wrote:

> Ruslan,
> I'm confused...
>
>>> We need an extension...No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I love the OS 9 file type and creator and do not like relying on extensions.
> But this is our reality.
>
>> Hmm, guys,
>>
>> We need take a decision.
>>
>> Keith, have told that we MUST have extension on X like on Windows.
>> In fact I do agree with him. Because OS X, follow this strategy.
>
> This is true. OS 9 is now a legacy developing environment. Writing new OS 9
> applications without a view to OS X operability in terribly shortsighted.
>
> I think Valentina should allow the ValentinaSetExtensions to work in the
> reality of extensions necessary to live in the OS X and Windows world.
>
>> Yes, I also see now problem with this behavior for MAC Carbon application,
>> Which must work on both MacOS 9 and MAC OS X.
>
> Carbon apps can have both a type/creator and extension. What is the problem?
>
>> Well, well, well.
>>
>> Keith, it seems I need refuse your request.
>> And again comment out this feature.
>
> My original report was that Valentina SetExtensions has a bug.
> When I do this...
>
> ValentinaSetExtensions "dbq", "dat", "bob", "dex"
> Res = db.Create(f,5,4096)
>
> The dat, bob and dex extensions work as expected. The dbq file has no
> extension at all. This is true for ANY value for the .vsdb file. This is a
> bug.
>
> Here's the problem, If you create a vdb on OS 9 without an extension, it
> will not open or associate properly on OS X or Windows. This is huge.

Keith,

Answer is simple as I see.

You need SELF add extension to db name if user have not enter it in
NewDialog.

So user enters:  "mydb"

You add: "mydb.dbq"

And send this to Valentina in Create().
Now Valentina will create for you file with extension.

In fact this is right way.
I may be have try to make Valentina smarter than it must be...

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com