[Valentina] Re: Vdb files

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Sat Jan 18 11:49:29 CST 2003

Ruslan,
I'm confused...

>> We need an extension...No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the OS 9 file type and creator and do not like relying on extensions.
But this is our reality.

> Hmm, guys,
>
> We need take a decision.
>
> Keith, have told that we MUST have extension on X like on Windows.
> In fact I do agree with him. Because OS X, follow this strategy.

This is true. OS 9 is now a legacy developing environment. Writing new OS 9
applications without a view to OS X operability in terribly shortsighted.

I think Valentina should allow the ValentinaSetExtensions to work in the
reality of extensions necessary to live in the OS X and Windows world.

> Yes, I also see now problem with this behavior for MAC Carbon application,
> Which must work on both MacOS 9 and MAC OS X.

Carbon apps can have both a type/creator and extension. What is the problem?

> Well, well, well.
>
> Keith, it seems I need refuse your request.
> And again comment out this feature.

My original report was that Valentina SetExtensions has a bug.
When I do this...

ValentinaSetExtensions "dbq", "dat", "bob", "dex"
Res = db.Create(f,5,4096)

The dat, bob and dex extensions work as expected. The dbq file has no
extension at all. This is true for ANY value for the .vsdb file. This is a
bug.

Here's the problem, If you create a vdb on OS 9 without an extension, it
will not open or associate properly on OS X or Windows. This is huge.

> ---
> In fact responsibility to add .vdb extension on X,
> If user have enter in dialog name of db without extension,
> must be on YOUR app.

This is just what I want to be able to do. What I suggested was that an OS 9
user who doesn't care about extensions could use:

ValentinaSetExtensions "", "", "", ""

While a cross platform/OS X developer could use the following to add
extensions to their files.

ValentinaSetExtensions "vdb", "dat", "blb", "ind"

> You must prepare good name for Valentina and then Create/Open.

What I am requesting is a consistent ValentinaSetExtensions command that
works the same on all platforms.

Does this make sense Ruslan? Am I missing something?

Keith DeLong