[V4RB] Handling of dbs being served

Frank Bitterlich bitterlich at gsco.de
Fri Feb 14 15:18:04 CST 2003

Jon,

these are common misconceptions. Let me take them apart :)

jda wrote:

> >I wonder if exists such RB plugnis or addons ?
> >
> >IT seems was some ACGI from Setellman.
> >

> Why use that? I don't want a cgi (then I need Apache,
... or any other web server software that support the ACGI interface.

> have to muck about with PERL,
Nope. CGIs have nothing to do with Perl (except that you CAN write CGIs
in Perl, too).

> and can't run on OS 9).
Wrong again. WebStar, and even Mac OS 9's Personal Web Sharing all
support the ACGI standard.

> The new ServerSocket object
> in RB seems perfect for creating a simple server app, which I then
> have complete control of.

If it's _only_ for a specific purpose, then that may be the better
solution.

A CGI is better when you have a more complex environment and use Apache
(or similar) anyway, or have complex security considerations.

> It's about half done already (and it's been
> kind of fun to write, too!).

I can believe that... :) writing a HTTP server can be tricky, but I
guess the RB5 sockets help a lot.

> But anyway, a cgi would have the same issues -- is it safe to access
> an open database for reads only?

I'll leave that to Ruslan, but I don't think so. Opening a DB twice
calls for trouble.

Cheers,
   Frank+++

--
Günter Schmidt & Co. oHG
Frank Bitterlich             eMail: bitterlich at gsco.de
Schlosserstr. 4              WWW:   http://www.gsco.de/gsco
D-60322 Frankfurt            Tel.:  069 / 156809-29
GERMANY                      Fax:   069 / 156809-28