[V4RB] Handling of dbs being served

jda jda at his.com
Fri Feb 14 09:36:28 CST 2003

>these are common misconceptions. Let me take them apart :)

>Please do!
>

>>  have to muck about with PERL,
>Nope. CGIs have nothing to do with Perl (except that you CAN write CGIs
>in Perl, too).
>
>>  and can't run on OS 9).
>Wrong again. WebStar, and even Mac OS 9's Personal Web Sharing all
>support the ACGI standard.

Yes, I know that. Actually, I have written a cgi in the past using
HyperCard (it was ideal for the task). But in OS X Apache doesn't
know AppleEvents, and so you have to have a kludge to connect it to
RB. That's where you need something like PERL (at least that's my
understanding).

>>  The new ServerSocket object
>>  in RB seems perfect for creating a simple server app, which I then
>>  have complete control of.
>
>If it's _only_ for a specific purpose, then that may be the better
>solution.

Yes, that's what I'm coming to realize. For serving, say, a set of
recipe databases maintained in RB/Valentina, it seems ideal (serving
serving, I guess).

>A CGI is better when you have a more complex environment and use Apache
>(or similar) anyway, or have complex security considerations.

I understand.

>>  It's about half done already (and it's been
>>  kind of fun to write, too!).
>
>I can believe that... :) writing a HTTP server can be tricky, but I
>guess the RB5 sockets help a lot.

I'm (slowly) learning some of the tricks :->.

Thanks again,

Jon