Object Pointer Question

Gordon Apple ga at ed4u.com
Tue Feb 11 13:08:55 CST 2003

  I'm not totally clear on how object pointers work.  They apparently store
the RecID of the pointed-to object.  Do they also store the table pointer in
each record?  Or is that only stored in the base object?

   The real question is whether or not an object pointer field (column) can
contain pointers to more than one table.  I'm trying to avoid the
inheritance question here and simply see if my object pointers can point to
records in different tables.  For example, I might have a table of people
and two additional related tables of attributes.  The pointed-to attribute
record (owned by the people table record) might be different for men and
women.  The male attributes table might have parameters to describe business
contacts.  The female attributes table might have a hot-lips rating.  (OK, I
know it's sexist.  It's just an example.)  I'd like to have one object
pointer in the people table that would point to a record in the appropriate
attributes table depending on what's in the people record male/female
column.  Is that possible?

--
G. Apple
Ed4U