Object Pointer Question

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Feb 11 21:21:27 CST 2003

on 2/11/03 9:08 PM, Gordon Apple at ga at ed4u.com wrote:

Hi Gordon,

> I'm not totally clear on how object pointers work.  They apparently store
> the RecID of the pointed-to object.  Do they also store the table pointer in
> each record?  Or is that only stored in the base object?

Only RecID.

Pointed Table is stored only once inside of ObjectPtr field description.

You can think about them as DIRECTR pointer to physical record.
Something like pointer in C++ language.

---
By the way, it seems to be good idea in future add one more type of Ptr.
Field which can point to different tables.
IT is obviously that it will have 8 bytes and store simply:

        { BaseObjectID, RecID }

In fact OODBC use ONLY this type of pointer.

>  The real question is whether or not an object pointer field (column) can
> contain pointers to more than one table.

No, see above

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com