corrupt database

Claudius Sailer Claudius at sailer-online.de
Sat Feb 1 00:20:11 CST 2003

Am Samstag, 01.02.03 um 00:13 Uhr schrieb jda:

>> Is it not possible for you (for the future) changing the one-file
>> mode to an other? I am using ind-file and one file for the rest.
>> Thats a good solution, because corrupt Indexes are often and hard
>> work. I know it sound stupid, but I choose the solution to delete the
>> Index-File before I open the database (Coded by myself). This takes a
>> while until database is reindexed again but it is more stabile and I
>> have less questions from Users, because there app doesn't crash and I
>> have to write them "Please look in your database-directory and delete
>> the file with *.ind".
>
> This of course works, but it's kind of ugly on a Mac, especially if
> your users can have many databases, as mine can. I use a one-file
> solution, but have a menu called Database Maintenance, and one of the
> options is Rebuild Index. When users have problems with finds or
> sorts, I tell them to rebuild the index and everything is fine again.
> BTW, I've never personally had a crash due to a corrupted index, just
> couldn't do searches or sorts properly.

I also protect my software (registered or not) with the valentina
try-period. When a user tries to use database after 10min (he gets a
warning after 9min), then very often Index is corrupt and my RB
Application is crashing by the next try to open the database.

The problem with indexes I have often in my application because I have
often SQL-Statements with more than 3 tables with relations. So i have
in the Application code everywhere where I find problems with Index
trhe SQLExecute(RENIDEX database or table). My Application has only one
database at a moment. So 2 files doesn't makes big trouble, and I think
it is also a problem of the database size. I have at the moment
databases with 7MB (I think more than 25tables and a lot of relations
between this tables).

This was the reason to take this way.

bye

Claudius