corrupt database

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Feb 1 00:16:53 CST 2003

on 2/1/03 12:01 AM, Eric Forget at forgete at cafederic.com wrote:

>> Just only I have told on RB list that it is hard to corrupt Valentina db,
>> And Ops...
>
> Without offense, it is relatively easy to corrupt Valentina db, specially
> with VAPP:

As I understand you provide here 4 ways to do this, yes?

> 1) Changing type between VarChar to String and Text to String

And what? 100% corruption ?
Hmm, I need check this.

> 2) Removing fields, specially Text.

Again, Hmm.

You mean you have some table and simply remove some field?

> 3) Playing a lot with Text field in user mode

> 4) Doing any long operation, and in the middle the 10 minutes is finish

You mean if during long operation happens time out db is corrupted?
This is normal.

> Over the last 2 weeks I have had constantly corrupted database...
> For me, corrupted database is a fact of life.

I always point another way:
    during debug kill app, this also fine way get corrupted files if cache
was not flushed.

> It will also be good if we can have "safe-save" of database: duplicate,
> write on the duplicate, diagnose, swap. It may be slower, but for small
> database it could be a good option.

> However, the best approach is always to have a robust repair function...

Eric, your points 1 and 2 sounds like a logical bugs.
Must be tested.

REPAIR itself will not be able in 100% cases repair db.
Only log file and double step transaction can give true protection from
failure and recovery.

Again, this is planed for 2.0

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com