V4RB 351 Var Char Error

Cindy Brown cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com
Wed Dec 3 14:25:24 CST 2003

> on 12/2/03 8:52 PM, Cindy Brown at cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com wrote:
>
>> The varchar field that is causing me all the trouble is in my assessments
>> database and is 3000 characters long. I have other varchar fields but so far
>> I have no corruptions in these. The assessments database is the most
>> intensively used database on the program.
>
> Hi Cindy,
>
> I have debug TEST project with VarChar.
>
> I have fix crash on big VarChar (  > 16KB  )
> On some reason was commented a part of code.
>
> This bug could not affect you because you say that you use VarChar[3000]
> Maximum.
>

> So now all my tests of VarChar works again very well.
> And this is very intensive tests.
>
> ****************************
> So I think problem really can come from your threading model.
> Please make sure that you use semaphores AT LEAST when you do modifications
> of records in Valentina db + flush.

Every time a record is added, edited or deleted on the server, the db calls
Flush. If two or more threads call flush at the same time, will that affect
the server? Or if flush happens too quickly one after the other, will that
also cause problems?

--

Cindy Brown
Programmer

Kowhai Programming Systems
PO Box 198, Invercargill
81 Marama Avenue South, 9RD Invercargill
Phone (03) 213 1243
Fax (03) 213 1248
Mobile (021) 354 930
<http://www.kowhaiprogramming.com/>