V4RB 351 Var Char Error

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Dec 3 09:00:29 CST 2003

on 12/3/03 3:25 AM, Cindy Brown at cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com wrote:

Hi Cindy,

>> So I think problem really can come from your threading model.
>> Please make sure that you use semaphores AT LEAST when you do modifications
>> of records in Valentina db + flush.
>
> Every time a record is added, edited or deleted on the server, the db calls
> Flush. If two or more threads call flush at the same time, will that affect
> the server? Or if flush happens too quickly one after the other, will that
> also cause problems?

This CAN AFFECT PROBLEM in the __preemptive__ threads but not in cooperative
threads.

In the cooperative threads on the MacOS classic YOUR call to Valentina
plugin never return until it finishes. So there was no need for any
protection.

I have hear that REALbasic for own code produce preemptive threads.

By logic, if you write in REALbasic code, and you know that they are
preemptive, you SHOULD use ONE global mutex to access Valentina

    valentina_mutex.Lock

        sqlExecute
        flush

    valentina_mutex.unlock

We use the same now inside of Valentina server alpha, until it is based on
1.x kernel.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com