UTF support sheduled to 2.0

jda jda at his.com
Mon Aug 4 11:27:30 CDT 2003

>Hi Guys,
>
>I know some of you will be disappointed to hear this,
>But we have discuss this question with Lynn and Jochen,
>And we decide to stop 1.x development to throw all efforts on 2.0.
>
>This means that yes, UTF support will go there.
>Only MAJOR bug fixes will be provided for 1.x from now.
>
>We estimate that UTF will require significant changes in current kernel,
>as Joerg points, everything not so easy even in UTF8 if think about all
>languages, but not just English. If I will make only English, this will
>looks not very nice...
>
>Please no need big discussions on this issue.
>It was hard decision for me, but I also feel the need for 2.0 breakthrough.

Well, this is bad news indeed. There are lots of us, especially those
who develop with RB, that absolutely require UTF support to move
their projects forward. And I don't want to belabor it, but this has
been promised for a long time (I have an email from you in which you
say you will definitely start Unicode support by April 10 of 2003!).
Ruslan, we make our plans based upon what you say, and we have to be
able to trust you. All I can ask now is when 2.0 will be available?
If it's one or two months away, it's a moot point. If we're talking
about 6 months, a year, or more, that's a big problem (for me at
least).

Jon