UTF support sheduled to 2.0

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Mon Aug 4 09:22:44 CDT 2003

> Well, this is bad news indeed. There are lots of us, especially those
> who develop with RB, that absolutely require UTF support to move
> their projects forward. And I don't want to belabor it, but this has
> been promised for a long time (I have an email from you in which you
> say you will definitely start Unicode support by April 10 of 2003!).
> Ruslan, we make our plans based upon what you say, and we have to be
> able to trust you. All I can ask now is when 2.0 will be available?
> If it's one or two months away, it's a moot point. If we're talking
> about 6 months, a year, or more, that's a big problem (for me at
> least).

UTF8 support is a must, and in fact, UTF16 support is going to come as
well, because it brings with it significant benefits for creating
database solutions in Japan and other 2-byte markets. Japan is, bar
none, the second largest language market for REALbasic as well.

Adding new features to both 1.x and 2.x products is significantly
slowing down development for 2.x, and 2.x is the future of Valentina.

Too many companies try to do too much at once, then find themselves in a
financial crisis and ship half-finished, bug ridden products. We don't
want that to happen, so this is one strategic measure.

This is not to say that 1.x wont get some fixes, but that effectively
new features are going into the new products.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Proactive International, LLC