general observation

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Apr 28 11:26:22 CDT 2003

on 4/28/03 1:13 AM, Zav - Alex Zavatone at zavpublic at mac.com wrote:

Hi Zav,

> All in all, I have found this Valentina stuff REALLY REALLY &***  confusing.
>
> What would be a freaking godsend would be to have SIMPLE Director
> files in a valentina examples section that would allow the following
> in in lingo.
>
> 1) Create a simple database and table.
> 2) Add a record to that simple database and table
> 3) Read a record from that simple database and table.
>
> I'm just trying to do a simple username, password, hint database and
> this ARRGH thing feels WAY more complex than I was hoping it was.
>
> I haven't been able to add records yet.  Yes, I am stupid but there
> has GOT to be a way to make this simpler just to do the basics.  A
> "bare bones, basics" set of documentation and examples maybe?

Sorry to hear this.

Have you see example001.dir  in V4MD folder.
I believe this is simply exaple as you need.
Okay, it create 2 tables.
You ask for one table.

Well, let's together do your task. :-)

I open by the way that example:
And will do simple copy - paste into this letter to get code you need.

In fact below is the SIMPLEST code which can be.
If you still have questions let me know.

global gDB
global gCursor

on startMovie
  global gDB

  -- The next line help us debug code using "Valentina for Director"
  -- To see how it works uncoment next line.
  -- ValentinaDebugLevel(2)

  ValentinaInit( 4 * 1024 * 1024, "", "" )

  CreateDB

  AddRecords
  ReadRecord

end

on StopMovie
  global gDB

  CloseDatabase( gDB )
  set gDB = void

  ValentinaShutDown
end

on CreateDB
  global gDB

  set gDB = new(xtra"VDataBase")
  createDatabase(gDB, the moviePath & "test.vdb", 4)

  -- Create table "Artist"
  set ArtistRef = MakeNewBaseObject(gDB,"User")

  set fldRef = addField(gDB, ArtistRef, "Name", #kTypeVarChar, 504 )
  set fldRef = addField(gDB, ArtistRef, "Password", #kTypeVarChar, 504 )

end CreateDB

on AddRecords
  global gDB

  -- create empty cursor (no records)
  set UserCursor = new( xtra "VCursor", GetRef(gDB),
                          "select * from User WHERE RecID = 0")

    SetBlank(UserCursor )
    SetField(UserCursor , "Name", "Zav" )
    SetField(UserCursor , "Password", "Alex" )
    AddRecord(UserCursor )
end

on ReadRecord
  global gDB

    -- select all records in table:
    set UserCursor = new( xtra "VCursor", GetRef(gDB),
                          "select * from User")

    // read field of CURRENT record.
    set name = GetField(UserCursor , "Name" )
    set passw = SetField(UserCursor , "Password" )

end

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com