freeze on text import

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Thu Mar 29 02:21:44 CDT 2007

Hi Court,

> This could very well be because of user error as I'm new, but I
> can't find much documentation for importing into vstudio.
>
> i'm trying to import an access text export into valentina studio.
> one of the tables causes vstudio to freeze up. i can force quit and
> see a partial import -- it seems to stop when it gets to records
> with large fields. if i delete the record (from the txt file) after
> the last successful record imported, the import keeps going fine
> (until the next large record). i don't see any strange characters
> there. these "large" records are only about 6000 characters.
Well - does that mean that you CAN successfully import IF you leave
this one table out?

> I've tried changing the VarChar field size to a number larger than
> the default, but it still hangs up in the same places.
Yes - this should not matter in any case.

> I've also tried deleting the records from the table, but not the
> table, then importing the text file for that table. this seems to
> try to give me more options for field mapping, but it always seems
> to get stuck when i try to assign field mappings.
I do not understand this:
- You have deleted these "large" records - but then the import still
fails?
- Why do you have more field mapping options then?
- What is the problem with the mappings?

> Any ideas on what is causing this or how to get around it? This is
> on a very old PC, I have a fairly new Mac; would I be better of
> trashing the PC version and trying this on my Mac?
No - Platform should not matter here - but of course you can give it
a try on your Mac....

Well - to help you isolating this problem it would be very helpfull
if you can send me this text file which makes the trouble.
I can then test and debug here to see what the problem is.
So - if it is possible - just send me the file to jpeters at valentina-
db.de