freeze on text import

Court Batson courtb at bentmedia.com
Thu Mar 29 10:13:42 CDT 2007

thanks for your help.

>> i'm trying to import an access text export into valentina studio.
>> one of the tables causes vstudio to freeze up. i can force quit
>> and see a partial import -- it seems to stop when it gets to
>> records with large fields. if i delete the record (from the txt
>> file) after the last successful record imported, the import keeps
>> going fine (until the next large record). i don't see any strange
>> characters there. these "large" records are only about 6000
>> characters.
> Well - does that mean that you CAN successfully import IF you leave
> this one table out?

If i leave that table out, importing is no problem.

>> I've also tried deleting the records from the table, but not the
>> table, then importing the text file for that table. this seems to
>> try to give me more options for field mapping, but it always seems
>> to get stuck when i try to assign field mappings.
> I do not understand this:
> - You have deleted these "large" records - but then the import
> still fails?
> - Why do you have more field mapping options then?
> - What is the problem with the mappings?

i can import fine if the large records are deleted.
if i create a table by importing tabbed text, it automatically
chooses VarChar[2044]. i thought perhaps this was not enough to store
the large records, so i created the table first, then imported the
text into it using Text type for the large field. i don't understand
how the field mapping options are supposed to be used when the import
is done this way, but if i don't touch the two mappings buttons
(clear mappings and smart mapping), it does try to import and the
types are imported correctly. however, the import still fails. it
will import until it comes to one of the large records, then it looks
like it keeps importing, but it never gets any farther. i've actually
let it go for 8 hours while i was working on something else and it
never got any further.

>> Any ideas on what is causing this or how to get around it? This is
>> on a very old PC, I have a fairly new Mac; would I be better of
>> trashing the PC version and trying this on my Mac?
> No - Platform should not matter here - but of course you can give
> it a try on your Mac....

i did try the demo on my mac, the newer machine does work faster and
is more stable, but as you suggest, it made no difference.

> Well - to help you isolating this problem it would be very helpfull
> if you can send me this text file which makes the trouble.
> I can then test and debug here to see what the problem is.

you can download the tabbed text for this table here:
http://idoodle.org/filezses/Recipe_search_edited.txt.zip
ascii, windows line breaks

thanks again,
court