[ANN] vStudio Admin (Win) a66 uploaded

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Fri Sep 17 19:32:20 CDT 2004

Hi Rob,

first of all thank you very much for your tests!

> 1) In the menu system, FILE->Open Recent Datasource displays recently
> opened
> files correctly, but like this:
>
> BOLTables:0
> Comp:0
>
> My question is, does the ":0" have meaning?
No - for Valentina Server Connections also listed there it is the used
port number - but in case
of ODBC connections i should not display this number.

> 2) The ODBC connection features, in both the "Connect to ODBC data
> source"
> dlog and Import Wizard are VERY convenient. Thank you!
>

> 3) In the Field Mapping screen, the Import Wizard dialog says "Please
> define
> the relationship between fields by drag  drop." I assume your code says
> "drag & drop", but the "&" displays as an extra SPACE char.
Ahh - ok - Unicode bug i think...

> 4) I don't know how to make the drag and drop to work in the field
> mapping
> panel. I was able to do field mappings only individually, with "Create
> single table...".
Just drag the source field from the right to one of the column headers
of the left list!

> 5) The "Importing records" prgress dialog, showing the elapsed and
> estimated
> times, is great.
>

> 6) I imported from an Access database (70.2 MB, 2 tables: 58,913
> records).
> Results are:
>
> * Table1 (small, 5 flds) had no records imported
> * Table2 (large, 10 flds) had all records imported, but with incorrect
> data
What field types?

> * Table2: 7 integer fields all imported only '0'
Ok
> * Table2: 2 VarChar fields imported OK
> * Table2: 1 "Memo" (LONGCHAR) field truncated large all text to 10
> chars
Aha - yes - i must check that type mapping - if Studio cannot find the
correct type
it uses by default a length of 10...

> 7) The wizard asks "Valentina Studio can create all tables in your new
> database automatically. Start table creation now?". If I answer YES,
> some
> tables are created, but most field mappings fail. From that point, I
> cannot
> proceed with the import.
Hhmm - not clear. So - what tables are NOT created?
Why can't you proceed? It is not rquired that all tables are mapped...

> 8) For MS Access files, the tables named "MSysAccessStorage",
> "MSysAccessObjects", "MSysAccessXML", "MSysACEs", "MSysObjects",
> "MSysQueries", and "MSysRelationships" are invisible by default,
> internally
> stored data, and probably do not need to be duplicated in the Valentina
> database. Most of their field mappings fail.
Yes - maybe i must skip these internal tables. I am just not sure if
they are marked in
some way as internal - in badest case i must hard code this names as
exceptions...

> 9) At db creation time, I choose "Mode 4", but no .blb file is created
> at
> that time.
This is normal! Valentina only create .blb if there is BLOB data.

> If I connect to an ODBC source that has MEMO text fields, and
> answer YES to automatically create tables (see #7 above), the .blb
> file is
> created. But since I can't proceed with the import, I instead choose
> "Create
> single table" multiple times, to create only the tables I want
> (skipping MS
> Access internal tables, see #8 above), the .blb file is never created.
>

> 10) While I was using the Import Wizard, the 10-minute time limit
> expired.
> V-S quit, but the Import Wizard remained!
Oopss.. :-)

> I think some of these problems may disappear if you skip creation of
> Access'
> invisible tables (see #8). That way, I'd be able to answer YES to
> automatically create tables, the .blb is created, and field mappings
> would
> succeed.

Rob - would it be possible to get your access database so that i can
experiment with it?