[ANN] vStudio Admin (Win) a66 uploaded

Rob Wingate rwingate at visual-book.com
Fri Sep 17 13:08:08 CDT 2004

Hi Jochen,

I've been testing the ODBC import features all morning (W2K). Here are some
notes:

1) In the menu system, FILE->Open Recent Datasource displays recently opened
files correctly, but like this:

BOLTables:0
Comp:0

My question is, does the ":0" have meaning?

2) The ODBC connection features, in both the "Connect to ODBC data source"
dlog and Import Wizard are VERY convenient. Thank you!

3) In the Field Mapping screen, the Import Wizard dialog says "Please define
the relationship between fields by drag  drop." I assume your code says
"drag & drop", but the "&" displays as an extra SPACE char.

4) I don't know how to make the drag and drop to work in the field mapping
panel. I was able to do field mappings only individually, with "Create
single table...".

5) The "Importing records" prgress dialog, showing the elapsed and estimated
times, is great.

6) I imported from an Access database (70.2 MB, 2 tables: 58,913 records).
Results are:

* Table1 (small, 5 flds) had no records imported
* Table2 (large, 10 flds) had all records imported, but with incorrect data
* Table2: 7 integer fields all imported only '0'
* Table2: 2 VarChar fields imported OK
* Table2: 1 "Memo" (LONGCHAR) field truncated large all text to 10 chars

7) The wizard asks "Valentina Studio can create all tables in your new
database automatically. Start table creation now?". If I answer YES, some
tables are created, but most field mappings fail. From that point, I cannot
proceed with the import.

8) For MS Access files, the tables named "MSysAccessStorage",
"MSysAccessObjects", "MSysAccessXML", "MSysACEs", "MSysObjects",
"MSysQueries", and "MSysRelationships" are invisible by default, internally
stored data, and probably do not need to be duplicated in the Valentina
database. Most of their field mappings fail.

9) At db creation time, I choose "Mode 4", but no .blb file is created at
that time. If I connect to an ODBC source that has MEMO text fields, and
answer YES to automatically create tables (see #7 above), the .blb file is
created. But since I can't proceed with the import, I instead choose "Create
single table" multiple times, to create only the tables I want (skipping MS
Access internal tables, see #8 above), the .blb file is never created.

10) While I was using the Import Wizard, the 10-minute time limit expired.
V-S quit, but the Import Wizard remained!

I think some of these problems may disappear if you skip creation of Access'
invisible tables (see #8). That way, I'd be able to answer YES to
automatically create tables, the .blb is created, and field mappings would
succeed.

HTH,
Rob