a69 cosmetic issues and bug system did not work for me

M Young m.young at mac.com
Fri Oct 29 00:32:11 CDT 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 12:47 PM, Jochen Peters wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>

>> Please explain again why Valentina files 1.x _has_ to be present in
>> the
>> datasources column when there are no local files. I don’t get it and
>> neither
>> do my end users. It makes more sense to me for something like
>> “Valentina local files 1.x” to be present _after_ a later data file
>> is created.
> I see your point, Michael.
>
> Look - vStudio can open several KINDS of databases:
> - Valentina 1.x databases
> - Valentina 2.x databases (not in the current alpha)
> - Valentina Server databases
> - ODBC databases
>
> We have ONE menu entry "Open database.." - so - how can i tell vStudio
> WHICH KIND of
> database i want to open? Well - i can provide FOUR menu entries..- but
> this is bad, unflexible way.
> Current implementation is: You click in the first column on the
> kind/type of database you wish to
> work with.
>
> But - well - maybe this must be improved - i will think about it...
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Jochen Peters
> PIIT GmbH

Datasources column + at column bottom gets Connect to Valentina
Server/ODBC datasource dialog. Several problems as I see it.

1) Datasourc is missing the e.

2) Do you really want the dialog Title Bar to change depending on the
dataource type selected? I suppose it makes some sense.

3) In Datasourc you have ODBC datasource but in the Title Bar you have
ODBC data source as two words not one.

4) Why not include Valentina data files here as a potential datasource
option in this dialog?

5) + sign to me means add, so I would expect to create any database
file when clicking the +, even the Valentina 1.x and 2.x types. In
other words, I expect the + to act the same as menu item File select
New database. But you are using the + as similar to menu item File
select Open database, except ODBC and Valentina Server rather than
Valentina databases are opened. Have you noticed that in the four VS
columns you have inconsistent use of + and -? In the Datasources column
+ is open and - is close, while in the other columns + is create and -
is delete supposedly. I think this difference may cause confusion. Why
not have two more buttons at Datasources column bottom for open and
close datasources and use + for create and - for delete. Which brings
up another point, I would suggest using the same terminology in the
columns as in the menu so either create in both places or new in both
places. For example my people will be confused that New database gets
created as a Datasource Elements. Also if you can create a New database
through File menu, where is the option to delete it through the File
menu? In addition, delete Datasource elements - at column bottom does
not work like I expect that it should. It apparently closes but does
not actually delete the datasource element since I see the supposedly
deleted datasource element on my hard drive. It appears that the -
really acts to close the datasource element and I am not sure that is
what you want?

Why is it bad to have Open database as a main menu item with four or
more submenu selections?

Thanks for being open to discussion,

Michael