a69 cosmetic issues and bug system did not work for me

M Young m.young at mac.com
Wed Oct 27 19:45:51 CDT 2004

On Oct 27, 2004, at 2:27 AM, Jochen Peters wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
>> . I just polled my sophisticated end users
>> and they had no clue what a filesystem is. If there is no database
>> created
>> yet, then I think the column should be empty.
> Michael - your end user don't have to know anything about
> "filesystems" -
> The entry "Valentina files 1.x" is only used for grouping different
> datasources - note that you can not only open databases from Valentina
> but
> also from Valentina Server and ODBC datasources. So - when you choose
> to open a database the kind of databases which will be opened depends
> on
> what is selected in the first column. Because you can always open local
> Valentina databases this entry is always shown. You cannot always open
> for example ODBC databases - for this you must first open a connection
> the ODBC datasource...
> You can also think about it as a folder. It is present even if there
> are
> no files in it..

I had my most sophisticated end user look at VS again. She looked at the
datasources column. She furrowed her brow when she learned that there
were no data files but Valentina files 1.x was present in the column.
It made
no sense to her.

> Well - but in any case i am free for any good ideas here - so - if
> anyone
> consider this approach as not easy enough for beginners we can try to
> change
> that.

Please explain again why Valentina files 1.x _has_ to be present in the
datasources column when there are no local files. I don’t get it and
neither
do my end users. It makes more sense to me for something like
“Valentina local files 1.x” to be present _after_ a later data file is
created.

Michael