[Valentina-studio] First Impressions

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jul 29 21:40:19 CDT 2003

on 7/29/03 19:52, Beatrix Willius at mail at beatrixwillius.de wrote:

>> But all tables and links already will be created and defined in
>> Vstudio.
>> Correct.
>>
>> When we have this, I do not see problems generate N items of CREATE
>> TABLE
>> for each table...
>>
>> Or N functions of RB that create that tables using
>>
>>     db.MakeNewBaseObject
>>     BaseObject.MakeNewField()
>

> Ruslan,
>
> this is relatively trivial.
>
> Simple excercise: create a database in Filemaker, make two tables with
> 1:m, create some layouts for it: list view with the "1" table, detail
> view with the "1" table, detail view with the "1" table and some fields
> from the "m" table. This is easy as pie: The views are synchronized and
> I can navigate in them. In Access I even can define a base query to
> have a more detailed control on the part of data to display.
>
> I Realbasic this requires a lot of work. Therefore I think that the
> automatic code generation should go a bit further: navigation of main
> business objects and main layouts/screens.

Betrix,

But you mi apples and oranges.

1) FileMaker is DBMS product.
    Vstudio also move into this direction.
    so yes you will be able do exactly as you describe above
    and nothing more. Any programming.
    Every dummy user will be able to do that.

BUT

2) even when Vstudio will do all this,
Valentina still will exists as "Valentina for REALbasic", Valentina C++,
Valentina for Director, ...
These products use DEVELOPERS, not end users.

And these developers DEVELOP own applications with help of Valentina.
And for developers Vstudio will provide code generation for help.

But REALBasic or VisualBASIC do NOT allow Vstudio to create layouts in their
IDE. You see? And there is no many sense for this. Developer always will
want something else.

Actually I have see that Cache database do HAVE VisualBASIC plugin, that
create some default layouts from db structure...This is dark area for now
for me.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com