AW: [Valentina-studio] Non-SQL record browser

Klamp, Kurt Kurt.Klamp at abdnb.bayern.de
Mon Jul 28 10:42:48 CDT 2003

> >>  do not consider this as urgent target,
> >> But do you plan to have record browser similar to VAPP?
> > Yes - i want to have something simular - it is a powerful feature - but
> > i am not sure yet how to integrate this.
> >
> >> Such browser allow do not-trivial navigation between
> >> RELATED records of tables. And it is ready from start, user do not need
> >> create any layouts...of course we can try to invent way how allow
> >> users tune
> >> browsers for him.
> > Maybe we can have another pane in the current record browser which can
> > be opened by a button "Show related" - ...
>
> I think not so easy.

Why not with second cursor ?
Second pane has popup with related tables (objPtr) and choosing a related
table will build second cursor (select */** from relatedtable where
recid=objptrfld) on the fly and show related recs depending on selection in
first record pane. Like in Vapp but with cursors. Valentina must be fast
enough to do so without waiting for recs, at least for the first 5-10 recs
depending on the size of the second area .
Even things like show 'selected/show free' is possible

> Your current record browser is RESULT OF SQL -- Cursor.
>
> Record Browser in VAPP -- is NOT based on cursors...
> It more closer to NAVIGATIONAL model of DBMS.
>
> Also problem is that for remote server access you have no way to do this
> in
> current alpha. We will need invent something for this...
>
> So let's keep in mind this feature for future...

Best,
Kurt