Question about sandboxing -- Journal in other location

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Fri Oct 19 06:02:58 CDT 2012

On 10/19/12 1:51 PM, "Frank Lemke" <frank at knowledgeminer.com> wrote:

Hi Frank,

> Thanks Ruslan!
> Cool, works fine.

Great :)

> After a short testing no problems had appeared. The journal file now goes into
> the sandbox.

> The only somewhat open issue is this of multiple documents with the same name
> but different locations. This is rather exceptional, but can happen.

Yes. We think yet add into journal storage of Database.GUID property,
We have just only add it for each database.

This at least will prevent usage of journal against wrong db.

> I tried it and it seems to work (I can open two files and work with them).

> However, there is in fact only ONE journal file for both documents. I don't
> know if this is a potential problem or if you handle this situation in the
> kernel.

No no. this is VERY danger.

Problem will happens if app crashes, and on the next db.open
journal try to recover a db.

I think you need prohibit oen of second db with the same name.
Show dialog like

   Database with name "db1" already is opened.
   Please close it to be able open "db1" from another location.

People will get into this very rare I think.

> The example is good and valuable summary of how you think things should work.
> It doesn't build, however, on my machine since the .xib file is missing
> apparently.

I will ask Sergey check it into SVN

> Also, your installer is not codesigned so it usually does not open with
> Gatekeeper enabled...

We have not switched yet to 10.8 ...
And I guess this is where this happens.

Hmm. We use old enough simple installer maker FileStorm.
So we need learn this issue. Then.

Thank you for point!