V5 speed problem -> you can disable journaling

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Fri Oct 19 06:10:59 CDT 2012

On 10/19/12 12:21 PM, "Reganam Interactive" <reganaminteractive at yahoo.com>
wrote:

Hi Sean,

> I updated my database to V5 and using the latest beta 0.40
>
> The problem I noticed is that now it takes 2 to 3 times longer to add records
> or set fields when I create the database.

> I'm not talking about search speed but rather database creation.

> Is this something you are aware of ? Or is the something I could do ?
> I'm using Director 11.5 and windows 7, the database is identical (fields and
> indexes) to 4.9.1, only much slower to create.

5.0 adds Journaling to db, and this slow update operations.
Although in our benches this was about 30-60%.

Once somebody told also about few times if do often flush it seems.

So I can offer you

1) try comment flush after each loop if you have that

2) you can disable journal at all also,
If you feel safe with that.

You can disable it only on time of adding a lots of values into db.
Then return it back.

Aha, may be with Director you need only prepare db once,
Then deploy it as read only?

Then will be okay disable journal I think.

Class Vdatabase have a new property to disable this.

Db.open()

    db.Journaled = false

         al ots of inserts

    db.Journaled = true