[ANN] Valentina 3.6b30 -- Diagrams

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jul 30 06:55:37 CDT 2008

On 7/30/08 1:27 PM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at cognosis.be> wrote:

Hi Bart,

> just started working with b30 VStudio Pro
>
> For me the BIG thing is the Keep Alive off the VServer connection
>
> For the limited time I have been working with it, this version FEELS
> VERY good.
>
> As you can see the bug reports I submitted until now for this version
> have all the severity of "MINOR".
> That must mean something ;-)

Right :)

> I must admit that for the moment I am only working in the schema editor.
> I saw in the mantis mails that you started working on my biggest point
> with diagrams (growing off).
> If I recall correctly you were saying that diagrams do not need to
> grow by page.

> I my (not so) humble opinion I tend to disagree.
> I think diagrams are ment to be printed (most of the time) and as such
> should be based on units that are easy to print --> pages (be it in
> portrait or landscape).
> These pages should even be visible in the diagram build screen. This
> makes it easy to rearrange tables and links in such a way that they
> are convenient to print.

I see point.

> As I said in the mantis report, for me THE example of good practice in
> this area is OmniGraffle (www.omnigroup.com).

yes

> The canvas in omnigraffle is standard one page in portrait. The canvas
> has standard a property "size is multiple of printer sheets" checked
> and a property "auto adjust the canvas size".
> The combination of these 2 properties has as result that when one
> places an object over the edge of the canvas, the canvas expands with
> one page width vertically or horizontally.

Yes I understand this idea..just it is more hard to implement then simple
1.5 times grow.

As second step may be this idea can be implemented also.

Although I have work with Archicad and Autocad a little. And I like how
printing works in archicad.

In general when you draw MODEL you do not care about paper. Stick to paper
size during draw is IMO too tight requirement. What they can do in Archicad,
is
    * they have nice print dialog
    * it can just scale your model to fit choosed printer/paper/orientation
    * or it can split model at 100% to few paper sizes, and they show small
preview how split will be done.

--------------
2)

Also Igor will try add may be even today -- move of diagramm by a HAND, like
this is in Archicad, Photoshop, ..

3)

Also we have talk today and come to this point.

It looks overhead to me to have so big tables with fields. May be we need to
have second type of diagrams of ER kind, only rectangles and ellipses for
Tables/links.   And Command to convert on kind of diagram to another.

4) of course its not bad to have SCALE feature.

5) MAY BE we must be able enable easy for table glyth to display not only
fields, but Triggers, Links, Indexes,  i.e. All other ELEMENTS of Table.
Why only fields?!

6) We can color links to 3 different colors to more easy see where is
ObjectPtr link, where is FK or BinaryLink.

7) We can assign colors to tables also like Finder can.

What else ?