[ANN] Valentina 3.6b30 -- Diagrams

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at cognosis.be
Wed Jul 30 07:49:05 CDT 2008

Comments in between:

On 30 Jul 2008, at 13:55, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>> The canvas in omnigraffle is standard one page in portrait. The
>> canvas
>> has standard a property "size is multiple of printer sheets" checked
>> and a property "auto adjust the canvas size".
>> The combination of these 2 properties has as result that when one
>> places an object over the edge of the canvas, the canvas expands with
>> one page width vertically or horizontally.
>
> Yes I understand this idea..just it is more hard to implement then
> simple
> 1.5 times grow.

Wouldn't this 50% grow not mean that the bigger your canvas is the
more space is added ?

Seems like a disadvantage to me.

Plus advantage of Omnigraffle approach: the canvas becomes
automatically smaller when you rearrange objects (putting them closer
together for instance).
How would "your" growmodel accomodate for becoming smaller ? Seems
much more difficult to me...

> As second step may be this idea can be implemented also.
>
> Although I have work with Archicad and Autocad a little. And I like
> how
> printing works in archicad.
>
> In general when you draw MODEL you do not care about paper. Stick to
> paper
> size during draw is IMO too tight requirement. What they can do in
> Archicad,
> is
>    * they have nice print dialog
>    * it can just scale your model to fit choosed printer/paper/
> orientation
>    * or it can split model at 100% to few paper sizes, and they show
> small
> preview how split will be done.
>

> --------------
> 2)
>
> Also Igor will try add may be even today -- move of diagramm by a
> HAND, like
> this is in Archicad, Photoshop, ..

be sure that you can do a (discontinuous)  multiselect before moving
the selection. Don't know if this already possible...

> 3)
>
> Also we have talk today and come to this point.
>
> It looks overhead to me to have so big tables with fields. May be we
> need to
> have second type of diagrams of ER kind, only rectangles and
> ellipses for
> Tables/links.   And Command to convert on kind of diagram to another.

Just as an idea: maybe interesting to have only one type of diagram
with a more powerfull table glyph
table glyph should have possibility to

1) hide and show rows (fields)--> maybe through context menu
2) hide and show columns

this for each table glyph separately.

What I would find immediately usefull is a change to the display of
links.

We should be able to "slide" the label of the link. Now when we move a
table the link of course follows, but often the name of the link is
hidden by another table that superimposes the table glyph.
If we could slide the label of the link to an open space, would remedy
this problem (half).

Ideally we should be able to add cornerpoints to the linklines. This
way we could "guide" a link around another table glyph

> 4) of course its not bad to have SCALE feature.

Never :-)

> 5) MAY BE we must be able enable easy for table glyth to display not
> only
> fields, but Triggers, Links, Indexes,  i.e. All other ELEMENTS of
> Table.
> Why only fields?!

Yep, see my comment on 3) = more powerfull table glyph

> 6) We can color links to 3 different colors to more easy see where is
> ObjectPtr link, where is FK or BinaryLink.

I don't see much use in that but who am I ;-). However I do see
another amelioration on links : maybe the label can not only show the
name of the link but also the link field names (or at least the objptr
field that is linked to the recid). This would permit to collapse a
table in a diagram and still know how this table connects to other
tables.

> 7) We can assign colors to tables also like Finder can.

Nice

> What else ?

Read my mind, get us rich, restore world peace
(not necessarily in that order)

Bart