[DISCUSSION] Planning of Vstudio development for Mon - Wed, 24 - 26 Sept

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Sep 24 07:45:23 CDT 2007

On 24/9/07 1:34 PM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> We plan on Wed make 3.5 with NEW OR feature:  PROPERTIES of DB objects
>>

>> *** ENGINE ***
>>
>> * Ivan implements
>>
>>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list TO VALUE
>>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list OF DATABASE TO value_list
>>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list OF TABLE    TO value_list
>>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list OF FIELD    TO value_list
>>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list OF SERVER     TO value_list
>>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list OF CONNECTION TO value_list
>>
>>    SHOW PROPERTIES OF [DATABASE | TABLE | FIELD | ... ]
>>

>> *** Valentina Studio ***
>>
>> 1) Igor have bring idea in the tree view add to RIGHT big pane
>>     a splitter like have XCODE. When this splitter opens
>>     we can have in bottom part the Text Editor for such things as
>>         Triggers and new feature - PROPERTIES.
>>
>>     IMHO very comfortable, so I agree that Igor made it for 3.5
>>

>> 2) Valentina Studio must support this new Properties feature, so
>>
>>  * Igor will add them into Property Inspector as new group
>>         User Properties
>>
>>  * It needs add them into both column and tree view:
>>
>>     ** in column view - into menus
>>     ** in tree views - as sub-folders of objects.
>>
>>  * in the header of column view must be added button
>>     [Add Property] when we select an object that can have properties.
>>
>>  * Such commands as [Add Property], [Delete Property] should be added
>>      into contextual menus for all objects which can have properties.
>>

>> 3) COMMENTS COMMENTS COMMENTS !!!!!!
>>
>>     Let me remind that we have start this wave of PROPERTY task
>>     to satisfy USER-requests to have COMMENTS for different
>>     database objects as Diagrams, Db, Tables, Columns, Links,
>> Triggers.
>>
>> So IMHO above mechanism of universal work with Properties for  Vstudio will
>> not be enough... It needs to have a VERY FAST AND SIMPLE way to SEE  comments
>> for an object if they exists...
>>

>> How to do this? May be via tool tip...but we have tooltips...
>> May be only via tooltip on diagram objects? We need find this way...
>>
> When you introduce the splitter for the properties pane why not
> introduce tabpanel into the properties inspector.
> With a tabpanel ( or a pagepanel with a popup to acces the individual
> pages) you have unlimited spaces to visualise properties
> The content of the popup can be variable depending of the properties
> needed for  a certain object

Okay, I see your idea.

> In the table-glyphs in diagrams I should introduce symbols for
> indicating that tables have triggers, comments, user-defined
> properties. When one select the table inside the diagram, the
> property inspector (through the split and pagepanels with popups) can
> show the actual property. Kind of like when clicking on a hyperlink,
> you click on a symbol in the table and the correct pagepanel in the
> property inspector shows.
>
> Mind you in the best tradition of 'give them a finger, they'll take
> your whole arm'  if and when all this power comes available we WILL
> also ask for printed reports on the structure of databases with all
> properties of all objects. Something like print for diagram x tables
> + Fields + Comments + links + triggers. Or Print all Stored
> Procedures, or selected procedures,....

Yes this is clear also :-)

To warm up discussion. I will CC this to Valentina list.

William have show me this tool
    http://www.malcolmhardie.com/sqleditor/

And only today I have realize that they have comments only as TEXT LABELS on
diagrams. Okay, Igor should make this in 5 min :-)

---------------
But as you and we understand now, we have start much more DEEP feature for
Valentina 3.5.

We are going implement new OR feature of Valentina Database Model:
        "Properties of Database Objects"
  aka   "Static Variables of Classes"

QUESTION IS:

* Bart, or others. Do you see real-life examples when PROPERTY of
    Database/Table/Column/Link  can be useful?

    Up to know we have invent here:
        Comments
        Date of creation of table
        Version of table
        Color :-)

* Bart, you talk about UNLIMITED space for properties.
    You see need in A LOTS of properties?

* We also consider ability to access this properties as

        SELECT ... WHERE tblPerson. at propName = 'dfsgsdfgd'

Any more ideas?