[DISCUSSION] Planning of Vstudio development for Mon - Wed, 24 - 26 Sept

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 08:35:01 CDT 2007

On 24-sep-07, at 14:45, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 24/9/07 1:34 PM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> When you introduce the splitter for the properties pane why not
>> introduce tabpanel into the properties inspector.
>> With a tabpanel ( or a pagepanel with a popup to acces the individual
>> pages) you have unlimited spaces to visualise properties
>> The content of the popup can be variable depending of the properties
>> needed for  a certain object
>
> Okay, I see your idea.
>
>> In the table-glyphs in diagrams I should introduce symbols for
>> indicating that tables have triggers, comments, user-defined
>> properties. When one select the table inside the diagram, the
>> property inspector (through the split and pagepanels with popups) can
>> show the actual property. Kind of like when clicking on a hyperlink,
>> you click on a symbol in the table and the correct pagepanel in the
>> property inspector shows.
>>
>> Mind you in the best tradition of 'give them a finger, they'll take
>> your whole arm'  if and when all this power comes available we WILL
>> also ask for printed reports on the structure of databases with all
>> properties of all objects. Something like print for diagram x tables
>> + Fields + Comments + links + triggers. Or Print all Stored
>> Procedures, or selected procedures,....
>
> Yes this is clear also :-)
>
> To warm up discussion. I will CC this to Valentina list.
>
> William have show me this tool
>     http://www.malcolmhardie.com/sqleditor/
>
> And only today I have realize that they have comments only as TEXT
> LABELS on
> diagrams. Okay, Igor should make this in 5 min :-)
>
> ---------------
> But as you and we understand now, we have start much more DEEP
> feature for
> Valentina 3.5.
>
> We are going implement new OR feature of Valentina Database Model:
>         "Properties of Database Objects"
>   aka   "Static Variables of Classes"
>

> QUESTION IS:
>
> * Bart, or others. Do you see real-life examples when PROPERTY of
>     Database/Table/Column/Link  can be useful?
>
>     Up to know we have invent here:
>         Comments
>         Date of creation of table
>         Version of table
>         Color :-)
>
> * Bart, you talk about UNLIMITED space for properties.
>     You see need in A LOTS of properties?

status of table (internal)-->(under development,frozen for version x
of db,in production)
last modified by
used by interface (we have 4 interfaces to the main db, from 2 API's
(RB and PHP)

I can dream up tens of things

As an example

Well one area where this could expand into and (I think) is lacking
now is data-security.
With properties on all levels I can make up a system where one group
of user has MIXED rights of acces on  tables and fields (Read, Write,
Hidden)
And access ( read only or RW) to forms and reports)

This WILL become VERY important when databases are deployed within
entreprises.

Now once I start nagging you guys about it I am sure you will come up
with a much better solution on the subject of data-security. But
UNTIL you do, I can use properties (well maybe not, but there ALWAYS
will be stuff that is linked to the way a developer works, where
object properties will be usefull).

You see I can with properties do stuff like this:

if user is in group x then
	if table.field(x).ishidden<---property then set field x visible is
false.

This is much easier then building another form and deciding what form
to open

So in that sense it needs to be unlimited

> * We also consider ability to access this properties as
>
>         SELECT ... WHERE tblPerson. at propName = 'dfsgsdfgd'

yep, nice

> Any more ideas?

You must be joking. I just promised myself I would not ask for more
then 7 items per week :-)

Bart