Planning of Vstudio development for Mon - Wed, 24 - 26 Sept

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 05:34:57 CDT 2007

On 24-sep-07, at 11:58, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We plan on Wed make 3.5 with NEW OR feature:  PROPERTIES of DB objects
>

> *** ENGINE ***
>
> * Ivan implements
>
>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list TO VALUE
>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list OF DATABASE TO value_list
>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list OF TABLE    TO value_list
>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list OF FIELD    TO value_list
>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list OF SERVER     TO value_list
>    SET/GET PROPERTY pro_list OF CONNECTION TO value_list
>
>    SHOW PROPERTIES OF [DATABASE | TABLE | FIELD | ... ]
>

> *** Valentina Studio ***
>
> 1) Igor have bring idea in the tree view add to RIGHT big pane
>     a splitter like have XCODE. When this splitter opens
>     we can have in bottom part the Text Editor for such things as
>         Triggers and new feature - PROPERTIES.
>
>     IMHO very comfortable, so I agree that Igor made it for 3.5
>

> 2) Valentina Studio must support this new Properties feature, so
>
>  * Igor will add them into Property Inspector as new group
>
>> User Properties
>
>  * It needs add them into both column and tree view:
>
>     ** in column view - into menus
>     ** in tree views - as sub-folders of objects.
>
>  * in the header of column view must be added button
>     [Add Property] when we select an object that can have properties.
>
>  * Such commands as [Add Property], [Delete Property] should be added
>      into contextual menus for all objects which can have properties.
>

> 3) COMMENTS COMMENTS COMMENTS !!!!!!
>
>     Let me remind that we have start this wave of PROPERTY task
>     to satisfy USER-requests to have COMMENTS for different
>     database objects as Diagrams, Db, Tables, Columns, Links,
> Triggers.
>
> So IMHO above mechanism of universal work with Properties for
> Vstudio will
> not be enough... It needs to have a VERY FAST AND SIMPLE way to SEE
> comments
> for an object if they exists...
>
> How to do this? May be via tool tip...but we have tooltips...
> May be only via tooltip on diagram objects? We need find this way...

When you introduce the splitter for the properties pane why not
introduce tabpanel into the properties inspector.
With a tabpanel ( or a pagepanel with a popup to acces the individual
pages) you have unlimited spaces to visualise properties
The content of the popup can be variable depending of the properties
needed for  a certain object

In the table-glyphs in diagrams I should introduce symbols for
indicating that tables have triggers, comments, user-defined
properties. When one select the table inside the diagram, the
property inspector (through the split and pagepanels with popups) can
show the actual property. Kind of like when clicking on a hyperlink,
you click on a symbol in the table and the correct pagepanel in the
property inspector shows.

Mind you in the best tradition of 'give them a finger, they'll take
your whole arm'  if and when all this power comes available we WILL
also ask for printed reports on the structure of databases with all
properties of all objects. Something like print for diagram x tables
+ Fields + Comments + links + triggers. Or Print all Stored
Procedures, or selected procedures,....

Bart Pietercil