V4CC - garbage collection question

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Sep 20 23:08:23 CDT 2006

On 9/20/06 11:00 PM, "Dave Parizek" <dave at janesoftware.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info!  Some of it was over my head, but I have mostly
> already spent a lot of time learning Cocoa memory management, so I
> guess I will just keep at it.  It will be better for my development
> (as a programmer) in the long run on top of not being good for this
> application (as you pointed out).
>
> What you are saying makes sense.  But then it makes me wonder about
> RealBasic and Valentina.  RealBasic uses GC, but I do not see
> performance problems (that I recognize) when I use V4RB with RB and
> Einhugur's DataGrid - it seems unbelievably fast.  It does many
> things way way faster (based on casual inspection) than Cocoa apps
> like CocoaMySQL or iSale (core data?).   This is sort of apples and
> oranges, instead of apples and apples, but just curious...
>
>   Is that because things overall are handled differently with RB's
> garbage collection, or with Valentina's object creation/destruction
> in RB, or just that I do not have a clue what real performance could be?

Good question.

I think that in RB they use simplest model of GC.
As I see it they just do Lock/Unlock for an object,
Which simply change counter. AS ONLY counter become zero - object dies.

The same we use in Valentina engine.
The same use MS COM
The same use probably Obj-C itself with retain/release.
The same use probably Java (at least in past)

When Apple try to develop now -- I don't know.
May be they want reach point of MS .NET.

Brief reading of .NET description have made me scary.
GC - which is intended to simplify job of developer in the .NET
looks so complex :-)

In .NET now developer do not work with Add()/Release() at all,
Like this was in COM. Now system answers for this.

I can say that .NET is really cool hybrid of C++ with ala-REALbasic GUI
At least this was my strong feeling when I have read code of our VNET
examples.