V4CC - garbage collection question

Shaun Wexler dev at macfoh.com
Wed Sep 20 13:12:36 CDT 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Dave Parizek wrote:

> Thanks for the info!  Some of it was over my head, but I have
> mostly already spent a lot of time learning Cocoa memory
> management, so I guess I will just keep at it.  It will be better
> for my development (as a programmer) in the long run on top of not
> being good for this application (as you pointed out).
>
> What you are saying makes sense.  But then it makes me wonder about
> RealBasic and Valentina.  RealBasic uses GC, but I do not see
> performance problems (that I recognize) when I use V4RB with RB and
> Einhugur's DataGrid - it seems unbelievably fast.  It does many
> things way way faster (based on casual inspection) than Cocoa apps
> like CocoaMySQL or iSale (core data?).   This is sort of apples and
> oranges, instead of apples and apples, but just curious...

CoreData is a pig; slow and dirty.  Converting statements to SQL,
multiple string conversions, parsing, etc, are all to blame.
Efficient app design can make the most of any underlying
implementation though.

>  Is that because things overall are handled differently with RB's
> garbage collection, or with Valentina's object creation/destruction
> in RB, or just that I do not have a clue what real performance
> could be?

I am notoriously a performance tweak.  There's always blood to be
squeezed from a stone...  ;)

> What does NOP mean?

"No operation"  A machine language instruction with no effect, such
as x += 0;  In ppc it is asm("ori r0,r0,r0"), or just asm("nop");

--
Shaun Wexler
MacFOH

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over
and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein