V4CC - garbage collection question

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Sep 20 23:14:38 CDT 2006

On 9/20/06 11:00 PM, "Dave Parizek" <dave at janesoftware.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info!  Some of it was over my head, but I have mostly
> already spent a lot of time learning Cocoa memory management, so I
> guess I will just keep at it.  It will be better for my development
> (as a programmer) in the long run on top of not being good for this
> application (as you pointed out).
>
> What you are saying makes sense.  But then it makes me wonder about
> RealBasic and Valentina.  RealBasic uses GC, but I do not see
> performance problems (that I recognize) when I use V4RB with RB and
> Einhugur's DataGrid - it seems unbelievably fast.  It does many
> things way way faster (based on casual inspection) than Cocoa apps
> like CocoaMySQL or iSale (core data?).   This is sort of apples and
> oranges, instead of apples and apples, but just curious...

About Grid.

Sergey have made for Vtable datasource to be used easy with binding.
Our API_way examples use that.

And as I know, Cocoa Grid do correct job like Einhugur's DataGrid.
I.e. It implement kind of ACTIVE Grid, which self ask app only for required
rows/cells to be displayed right now.

>From what I have see in V4CC and hear from Sergey,
I do not expect any overhead here.

My expectation is that Cocoa grid will scroll table with million records
with the same easy and speed as do Einhugur's DataGrid.  But we have not try
todo this yet.

------
If you have see slow issue in CocoaMySQL then let me ask:

    you mean that you have try to browse table with a lots of records?

I think this not works good for mySQL, because they use only client-side
cursors. You need load only few records to client RAM.

------
Isale...CoreData   :-)   nope, 3 times :-) :-) :-)

CoreData is based on SQLLite. So why you want to see here high performance?

WE all here know that SQL Lite is much slower of Valentina
Even if REAL and Apple will prove to the whole world that it is not true.

Dave, have you see on our testimonials page quote from Justin Druri?
Read it if you have not yet.