V4RB 2.4.3 b2 UB, anybody did have problems with installer?

Dave Addey listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Oct 2 18:10:46 CDT 2006

Hi Ruslan,

>> If I delete /usr/local/lib/vcomponents myself via the terminal, then the
>> installer works fine.
>
> Okay, so I need check option -- REPLACE ALWAYS

Yes.

>> One other thing - it was not obvious what the installer does!  Before
>> releasing this version, it needs a Readme saying where the vcomponents
>> folder is put, and also saying where the V4RB.rbx plugin is put.  I had to
>> do a search to find that:
>>
>> ~/Paradigma Software/V4RB_2/
>
> Ops right,
>
> I use not other installer, and it not allow choose plugins folder.
> So we just install into HOME,
> You need  COPY plugin manually.
>
> So far this is all right. May be I will use again old installer, or find way
> do things better.

There's no problem with it putting the plugin in the home folder.  But, the
installer didn't tell me that this was where it had been put.  All that's
needed is a README.  I had assumed it would be in the same place as before.

>> cp -r /usr/local/lib/vcomponents ~/Desktop/MyApplication.app/Contents/
>>
>> ...which is not very obvious or very easy!
>
> Sorry, but what is not easy ?
>
> This line cab in your scripts,
> You have write that you already have such scripts.

I do have scripts to copy files into the app bundle, and I'm very
comfortable doing this.  But then, I know Valentina pretty well, from the
beta lists.  If I was new to V4RB_2, I wouldn't even know that anything had
been installed in /usr/local/lib/, nor would I know that I needed to copy it
into my app bundle.

> Btw, it is NOT enough just copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> If your move your app to other computer without /usr/local/lib/vcomponents
> It still will not work.
>
> To make it working inside of APP package you need use script as one that
> present in VComponents folder.
>
> Do not complain, this is how OS X works :-)

I don't understand how to do this.  Maybe I missed the instructions on the
mailing list.  I haven't tried copying a built application to another
computer with the vcomponents inside the app bundle, so maybe this is why I
didn't realise I had to run a script.

Do you mean the "chg_vcomponents_to_exec.sh" script?  How do I use it?  I
have seen the "USAGE:" section of the script, but I still don't understand
what I need to do.  Sorry!  Once I understand this, I can test it more.

> ALSO MAIN QUESTION:
>
>     V4RB UB works fine?

Sorry, I should have answered this before!  I have tried some of the example
projects, and it seems to work fine with vcomponents in /usr/local/lib/.
Good work!

I am still waiting for a Universal Einhugur DataGrid before I can test my
main application, so I can't say for sure that everything works for me.  I
will test it as soon as the DataGrid is available.

Dave.